The Scripture "Yea" Confusion

Here is my favorite thing that happened in church on Sunday. So I teach Sunday School and I asked for a volunteer to read a scripture for me. So this sweet sister in front raised her hand, for which I was so grateful because it usually takes five minutes for anyone to respond to me after I ask a question.

Let me pause here to say, for those who aren’t familiar with the scriptures, that one of the most commonly used phrases is “yea”, as in “yea verily”, or “yea, there was much rejoicing”, and so on and so forth.

But sometimes, you look at that word "yea" and think it’s the word “yeah”, as in “I loved that rock concert. Yeah!” or “Yeah. I really like your crimped hair”.

So you can imagine how funny it was when this sweet sister started reading thusly:

And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yeah, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yeah, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yeah, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yeah, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yeah, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.

She sounded like she was a cheerleader trying to get us amped for the second coming. And friends it worked!

Inside I was laughing so hard that I almost had to fake a dramatic spiritual experience and run out of the room. 

Such a great day at church!

Comments

Becki said…
yea that is awesome! i mean yeah. i mean... oh rob, now i'm just confused! except that i love church! yea....h!
Carrot Jello said…
I'm going to have to try that the next time I'm a little bored in Sunday School.
Not that that would ever happen.
I'm always anxiously engaged.
Nathan said…
Oh, if only that was all that happened in our ward. Instead, I get a guy telling the class that he forgives Jesus for overreacting by kicking the money lenders out of the temple.
Heidi said…
I miss teaching Sunday School now...
Kim said…
A sister in my ward once mixed up the word "Gentiles" with "genitals." That was certainly the most interesting reading of 1 Nephi 13 I've ever heard!

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pumpkin As An Adult

The Brady's Brick Square

The Elder's Quorum Lesson

The Wonder Women Transportation Problem

The Toilet Paper Decision

The Revelation of Others