The Halloween Faux Pas


I have never been a big “Halloween Guy”.  May be it’s because I had a bad experience in a haunted house or may be because my entire family was murdered on Halloween when I was 10. I don't know, it's hard to be sure, but for what ever reason I have always felt a disdain for Halloween and Halloween related activities. I just can't seem to embrace the fun of of it all.

Last Friday, we had an Office Halloween Party complete with a costume parade and trick-or-treating. So for the children I decided I would rise above my dislike for Halloween and give out candy to the kids that came through our office.

 At first it was tedious, but as the day wore on, I really started enjoying myself as I engaged in the parade of costumes.
Here is Iron Man”
“Look it’s the weird guy from Yo-Gabba-Gabba!”
“Oh look...It’s an adult belly dancer who needs to wear a more age appropriate costume next year. Good to see you...and I mean off all you.”

So by the end of the day I was really enjoying myself.  I was hopped up on candy and I was feeling great! I felt like a regular Willy Wonka, minus the weird eccentricities, the poofy hair…and the Umpa Loompas.

Towards the end of the day, I saw a child, who appeared to be 13 or 14, with long curly hair heading my way with a Spiderman costume on. So I shouted,
Watch out everyone here comes Spider-Woman.”
To which the child replied, 
“But I am Spider-MAN.”
“Oh course you are, honey. But because you are girl we would call you Spider-WOMAN. Oh isn't she precious?” I said turning to my coworkers.

Then the mother of the child gently cupped my elbow, and in an intense whisper, said, “This is my son. He is a male. He is Spider-MAN.”

A heavy awkward silence fell over the entire office.
I dropped some candy into his bag and they promptly left.
Where upon, I handed the candy bowl to my coworker, walked into my office and turned on some Christmas music.

Halloween...I hate you. And Kid...get a hair cut.





Comments

Hannah Joy said…
hahahahahaha!!! Lololololololol
Rob, I am so very glad to have found your blog. OH, fabulous.
Come see mine! Follow, I say!
bejoyruss.blogspot.com
Carrot Jello said…
Hahahahahahahah! LOLOLOLOLOL!
Trololololololo!

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pumpkin As An Adult

The Brady's Brick Square

The Elder's Quorum Lesson

The Wonder Women Transportation Problem

The Toilet Paper Decision

The Revelation of Others