The Oscars

Is it already time for the Oscars? It seems like only yesterday that I was writing about my favorite movies of 2008 and here we are talking about my favorite movies of 2009.

Now I don’t see a lot of movies because my mom doesn’t let me see movies with naked people in them, or movies that are excessively violent. So that has pretty much limited my award picks to maybe three movies this year.

Let’s first talk about some movies that were a disappointment:

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra”-Growing up my friends and I loved GI Joe, and I always thought, “
This would make the coolest movie.” It could have been so cool but they cast people like Channing Tatum and that obnoxious Wayans brother. Channing Tatum has the acting range of a rock, unless you love “Step UP” and then he is awesome. It was hard to watch, but throughout the whole movie I kept saying to myself, “It’s going to get better.” Yeah it never did.

Transformers 2”- OK so if the Transformers can appear like humans and seduce Shia Lebouf why in the world are they tromping around like huge trucks and jets? Just sayin’.

Wolverine”- I am not saying it wasn’t a good movie because it was alright, but it just could have been so much better. I mean come on, the source material is so good. And why are we trying to make Wolverine to be a nice guy? He isn’t a nice guy. He can kill you twelve ways before you even know your dead.

Moving on to some positive movies this year:

Best Picture: “UP” I love this movie. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. It just has a lot of heart. It helped me feel again.

Best Actor-Matt Damon for “Invictus”. I always underestimate Matt, but when he pulls out the South African accent I have to give him props.

Best Actress- Meryl Streep for “Julie and Julia”. I have never loved Julia Childs but this movie humanized her for me. And Sister Streep did a great job. Although when they showed her and husband getting frisky with each other I had to look away for a second.

Documentary- “Happy Valley” Good flick about drug usage in Utah Valley. All about the drug culture where I was raised. Very interesting.

Best Art Design- “Avatar” Visually this movie is amazing, story wise not so much. When it started to surpass “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” for top grossing movie I have to admit I was a little bitter about it because, is it really that deserving? When people ask me what I thought of “Avatar” I say, “It was excellent…except for the parts with the talking.” Let’s be honest James Cameron movies aren’t known for the great dialogue. Lest we forget Leo Dicaprio shouting “I’m the king of the world” in Titanic? Ouch that is painful to watch.

Well enjoy the Oscars and may 2010 bring us some great movies. I can’t wait for the next Twillight movie!

Comments

Nathan said…
I must have been sitting in the same theater when you saw GI Joe because "it's going to get better ... it's going to get better" kept running through my head too.

It didn't.

And I'll never have those hours of my life back.
ShEiLa said…
I loved UP and JULIE AND JULIA... have not seen INVICTUS or AVATAR.

I wasn't too impressed by GI JOE or TRANSFORMERS 2. I thought WOLVERINE was ok... but not spectacular.

I don't see a whole lot of movies in the theater... but that is what NetFlix is for.

ToOdLeS.
Bart said…
Well, UP didn't get best picture, but at least it got best animated feature. AND, Michael Giacchino won the Oscar for best score. The score to UP is at least 40% of the reason I like it so much.

Statistics classes make me say things like I just said. It's embarrassing.
How could you EVER underestimate MATT????

(my word verification for this comment is "ovenutt". It might have something to do with the mysterious photo you just posted from college..? Coincidence? I don't think so..)

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pumpkin As An Adult

The Brady's Brick Square

The Elder's Quorum Lesson

The Wonder Women Transportation Problem

The Toilet Paper Decision

The Revelation of Others