Sound Proof Walls. . Bah


One of the big selling points when I bought my condo was the sound proof walls. That’s right friends; they told me that I would not be able to hear a peep from my neighbors. The contractor had layered the walls with concrete, foam, and for added sound protection, rolls of toilet paper. So I was pretty confident that I wouldn’t be able to hear my neighbors and they would not be able to hear me.

Sound proof walls were very important to me because after a long and stressful day at work, I like to turn on my stereo and just sing, sing loud and sing proud. I enjoy singing such hits as Debbie Gibson’s “Electric Youth” and AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck”. (Sometimes during “Thunderstruck” I like to throw a little tap dancing solo on my hard wood floors.) I didn’t worry about disturbing my neighbors because, again, I was pretty confident in the sound proofing of the walls.

So last night as I was lying in bed and I heard a sound coming from the wall I share with my neighbor. You can imagine my alarm when I heard voices, not words but more like what Charlie Brown hears when his teacher talks to him in class (waa waa wa-wa waaa…).

As I laid there my mind became troubled with what all this means. I thought to myself, “If I can hear them talking than that means that they can hear me sing-. . . OH CRAP.”

How many nights have my neighbors sat watching Jeopardy wishing that the guy next store would shut up with the singing already so they could hear what Alex Trebeck was saying? And I shudder to think what they thought the clickety-click was from my tap dancing. How embarrassing.

Here this nice couple probably moved from Mid-town Manhattan where they just wanted to get some peace and quiet, only to find that they have a neighbor who thinks he is a rock star and keeps them up at least until 9:00 some nights.

So guess who it would be awkward to run into this morning? My neighbors. Guess who I ran into? My neighbors. Needless to say it was a little awkward.

I think they were picturing me singing Debbie Gibson’s “Electric Youth”.

Comments

j said…
How dare you keep them up as late as 9:00 pm!
Megann said…
One word: Karaoke!!!! What better way to bring your neighbors together and allow them to appreciate your musical genius at the same time?!

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pumpkin As An Adult

The Brady's Brick Square

The Elder's Quorum Lesson

The Wonder Women Transportation Problem

The Toilet Paper Decision

The Revelation of Others