I Still, I Still Believe...

So remember that time when I went to see Miss. Saigon last night? Wow!

For those of you who haven’t seen it, the curtain falls with one character dead and everyone else standing there, wondering how everything they wanted has suddenly slipped away with the suicide of a sweet Vietnamese girl.

I sat in my chair as the curtain fell and thought, surely there must be a third act where our dead Vietnamese friend revives miraculously, and then they all fly to America where it ends with a rousing tap number with fireworks and people being shot from cannons.

After I processed the whole show I have to say, I really liked the way it ended. Because sometimes in life things don’t work out the way you want them to, ya know. Sometimes your hopes are dashed, you lose your job, or you become a cripple.

And sometimes when you are in Vietnam you get married, and then you have to flee the country, leaving you Vietnamese bride behind. And then you remarry in the states and start a new life for yourself only to find out your Vietnamese wife is still in love with you and is raising your love child, who you knew nothing of. And then when you finally fly back to see her in Vietnam she kills herself so you can raise your child in the states.

I mean these every day trials happen to us all at one time or another. Am I right?

Whenever I see a show like this it makes me think of how great my life is. Mostly that I don’t have an illegitimate child...in Vietnam…that I know of…yet.

Comments

j said…
Thanks for ruining the ending for me. :( Where's the **SPOILER ALERT**?? (I'm going on Saturday)

P.S. I'm not really mad, but I really didn't know how the show ended until now.
Rebecca Banner said…
I felt like I experienced the same thing! oh wait...I did. Cheers to life being crapy sometimes.
Anonymous said…
Yes, trials do come in many shapes and forms and situations, but its how we handle those situations that make or break us. Happiness is what we are to experience in this life; misery comes when we measure our circumstances and forget about our eternal disposition.

Let's remember the "light does come" after our trials...it always does if we seek it.

BtW...who did you go see this play with? Why didn't I get informed that you were going(not that you have to tell me those things, BUT...)? And I was the one who gave you the allergy tablets! Shucks! M.
Megann said…
I completely forgot about that musical despite the fact that there was a short period in my life when I couldn't get enough of the soundtrack!! Thank you for the walk down memory lane....

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pumpkin As An Adult

The Brady's Brick Square

The Elder's Quorum Lesson

The Wonder Women Transportation Problem

The Toilet Paper Decision

The Revelation of Others